16.10.06

Peanut butter wishes and strawberry jam dreams

You know, there's really nothing quite like two thick slices of hearty toast slathered with peanut butter and strawberry preserves. If you think I'm joking around, I would challenge you to enjoy yourself a helping right now without delighting in each delectable bite. Go on, I dare you! If you find me guilty of bearing false testimony then I would urge you to seek professional counseling immediately. Mmmmmmmm... The peanut butter just melts into the toasty bread and when you start to spread the strawberry preserves... oh my goodness how the two coalesce into a magical medley to dance across the tastebuds. I won't go on for fear that I'm creeping out anyone reading this ridiculous post, but I assure you... Try it!This week was pretty amazing just because Miranda and I got to spend some time with so many wonderful
people.
Monday morning, I did some painting at my grandparents house which I've been working on much of the summer. That evening, our amazing friend Emily who is a student at Purdue was in town for fall break and she joined us for some dinner, dancing and top secret spy work.

Tuesday night, Miranda's folks drove down from the Fort Wayne to stay with us as they were flying out of Indy the next morning for Rome. So for those keeping score at home, we had ten warm bodies sleeping in our house tuesday night. I believe it's a new record for the Rockey house.
Wednesday, Dan joined us for a crock of ham & bean soup with cornbread and some conversation in the living room afterwards. Later that night Jace, Kath, Miranda and I gathered around the tube in our upper room for our weekly fix of Lost. Can you believe that Sawyer? I mean, my goodness. Our neighbors and friends Chris and Amy eventually joined us as well and we got to spend some time catching up afterwards.

Thursday afternoon my good friend and musical associate Andrew joined me in working up some songs for my CD release show on November 4th. After a couple hours of rockin' the suburbs, Andrew stuck around for enchiladas and some good ol' snoopin' around on our favorite website featuring the Dutch Sesame Street.

Friday, I was offered a job at Starbucks which I gladly accepted as Miranda and I headed out for our weekly custodial responsibilities at Southminster. Afterwards, we joined my folks and my broseph Jeremy for some pizza and ice cream. Then we got to enjoy watching the St. Louis Cardinals come back and beat New York in the ninth inning.
Saturday, Miranda and I had the whole house to ourselves as the Jason Rockey family was in the Fort Wayne visiting Katherine's folks. I seized the opportunity to spread out in the kitchen and finish screenprinting the artwork for Kyrie Eleison. Later that evening my brohan Jeremy caught a ride with us to Mass Avenue to see Dan perform at Comedy Sportz. We laughed many times over.

Sunday morning, there was the breaking of bread around our table and discussion of ways for our small church community to be serving those around us. We also came to the decision to begin reading through the Gospel of Mark together. Steph and Kip stopped by again and I was able to give them a preview of the final version of the Everybody Loves Tyler video (see previous post) which we sent to him last week. It was such an encouraging time for me talking with the two of them... hopefully they were encouraged as well. My heart aches for them and the other kids at CGPC. These kids have revolutionary hearts and I hope to see them rise up and be voices of leadership, not merely in the youth ministry, but in the church... Whether others will take the time to really listen to them, I don't know. I hope so. Which leads me to...

Today. I joined my friend Tim for coffee at Einstein Bros. for the first time in many months. We caught up with each other's lives, shared where our hearts were right now and prayed for one another. It was so refreshing to my soul to have that short hour together. I've missed my friend Tim. As we sipped the last drops of coffee from our cups, our conversation was intruded upon by this revelation; that the Church must come to a place of desperation before the throne of Christ. Not just desperate for His wisdom or His direction or His provision, but simply desperate for Him.