9.10.06

Everybody love Tyler, part I

I have found that recently I am in the habit of checking my email quite often. For about three weeks now, I have wrestled with whether I should write to a couple of the kids from the youth ministry we were asked to leave from. In particular, I had been thinking of Steph and Katie. They are two young ladies who Miranda and I were very close with and haven't had any conversation with either of them all summer. Well, it's Sunday morning and before preparing breakfast for our family and guests, I check

my electronic mailbox. Before my welling eyes, what should appear? I have one email waiting to be read from Stephanie. I was overcome with such a feeling of love and joy. You see, I am also in the habit of believing lies such as; none of the kids we used to spend so much time with any longer want anything to do with us. Of course this simply wasn't true as Stephanie let me know in her email. I immediately wrote her back and called her to invite her to come over to the house to talk. Around noon, she and Katie showed up at our front door--an occurence which was greatly missing from our lives. We all sat around and talked, listened and lamented over the wrongs done to us by others who should have been the ones building us up and modeling the attitude of Christ for us. It's easy to point the finger and lay blame, but we all know that what's done is done. The hard part is forgiveness. How do we keep from making the same mistakes and have no other agenda but listening to and following Jesus? It's difficult.

After we'd been talking awhile, Stephanie recieved a call from Kip and he soon joined us. We began to collectively think about our good friend Tyler who had started at school out in Arizona this fall. We miss him. We pondered how difficult it must be to live so far away from everyone you know and love. He seemed to spend every waking hour with his family and/or friends. Tyler is a great friend who genuinely cares for those close to him. Strangely, soon after we began discussing plans to bake him cookies and make him a video, Tyler himself calls Kip on his phone! Hmmm... So then, we all set out to, as I like to say, "bake the hell out of some peanut butter cookies" for our friend Tyler. It felt really good to spend the afternoon laughing and lamenting with these kids who we love so dearly. I'm so amazed at how God shows up in these moments of mortality and gives us comfort and joy in the company of others when we least expect them.